This is the third part of a lesson plan based on some songs from Hairspray. It’s not about any specific grammar point, it focuses on speaking and listening skills and paying attention to details.
3. I Can Hear the Bells (20 min)
a) Write ten sentences about things Tracy does in the video. Your sentences should contain an action and a place, e. g. Tracy sings in the corridor.
b) Match these words from the clip with their definition.
|Definition from Oxford Dictionaries|
4. The New Girl in Town (15 min)
c) Answer these questions about the video. Read all the questions before watching the video because the answers won’t show in order.
- Describe the picture behind the three black singers.
- What colour is Penny’s lollipop?
- What does the man with a sheet of paper say to Tracy?
- What happens to the new girl at the end?
- What two characters meet for the first time in the video?
- What vehicle is mentioned twice in the song?
- What’s in the box the man offers in the shop?
- What’s the third name on the board of ‘Miss Teenage Hairspray’ competition?
a) Suggested sentences for part a
– She looks at Link in the corridor.
– She walks along the corridor.
– She pushes two girls in the corridor.
– She throws a boy against the lockers in the corridor.
– She walks into the teachers’ room.
– She takes some food from a teacher in the teachers’ room.
– She gets her temperature checked in the nursery.
– She kisses a picture of Link in her locker.
– She sings to her driving instructor in the car.
– She plays the triangle in the orchestra.
– She gets hit by a basketball in the gym.
– She dresses up as a bride with toilet paper in the toilets.
– She spies the boys when they comb their hair in the toilets.
– She turns the corner in the corridor.
– She walks into the classroom.
– She watches Link from the window.
– She sits at her desk.
b) Answers to part b
1-a, 2-e, 3-b, 4-f, 5-c, 6-d.
c) Answers to questions in c
- There’s a pink car and a black couple at each side of it. There’s a city in the background and negro day is written in capital letters in a corner.
- It’s red.
- Tracy, wait up!
- She’s run over by the van.
- Penny (white blonde girl) and Seaweed (black boy).
- A van.
- A Tracy wig.